About Us

My photo
Mike and I have been married for 10 years now, and luckily we still like each other! We've been together for over 15 years and we've spent it traveling, backpacking, climbing, skiing, triathloning, marathoning, sailing, eating, and going on as many adventures as possible. We now have two beautiful boys, Sam & Charlie, and we couldn't be more excited about seeing a whole new world through their eyes in the years to come!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Baby Blommer is FINALLY here!!

Hi Everyone!

Mike and I would like to officially welcome Samuel Stephen Blommer into the world! Sam was born on January 17th, 2009 at 1:27am. On his b-day he weighed 8lbs, 6oz, and he was 20.5 inches long. He is (of course) the cutest baby in the world, and we love him so much!

Sorry it has taken me so long to write this post. It turns out having a new born is exhausting and doesn't leave you much free time. Who knew?!

Here are some details about my labor for those of you who’d like to hear the whole story:

I had to be induced because Sam was two weeks late, so we went into the hospital on Friday, January 16th at around 7:00 am. While I was changing into my gown my water broke! I was happy about this because it meant it really was time, and it made me feel better about the induction.

They started me on Pitocin (the drug that causes terrible, awful, painful, long, and too close together contractions) at around 8:00 am. Because my goal was to have a non-medicated labor (meaning no epidural) the Dr. started me out on a low dose of the Pitocin. I started having contractions that were about 2 minutes apart immediately, but they weren't very strong or painful yet.

Everything was going fine until around 2-3 in the afternoon when the contractions started to get really painful. At this point they were still bearable though because they were still 2 minutes apart.

A few hours later around 6-7 pm the contractions started to get really bad. They were between 15-30 seconds apart, and lasting around 2 minutes. I would describe them at this point as the worst pain I've ever felt in my life!

After managing them okay for a couple hours using the techniques I had learned in my birthing class, I started throwing up, which was awesome! At this point it was about 10:30 pm, and the nurse thought maybe I was getting close to the pushing stage because of how strong/long my contractions were (my pitocin level was quite high at this point). So, she decided to check me. Well, after 15 hours of Pitocin induced contractions I was only at 3cm! 3cm!!!! I couldn't believe it, and I knew there was no way I could continue this all the way to 10cm without some pain meds, so I decided to go for the epidural.

I got the epidural a bit after 11:00 pm, and the baby's heart rate started to drop dramatically right afterwards. The Dr. turned off the pitocin, which stopped the contractions, which brought the baby's heart rate back up. The only problem is that you can't have a baby without contractions! After 2 hours of turning the pitocin on and off, the heart rate dropped again, and the Dr. came in and said we have to go right now to C section before something happens to the baby.

I was completely devastated, but I knew we had to hurry, so in we went!

The c-section wasn't bad at all. I didn't feel anything, and I was able to stay awake for the entire operation. Sam came out doing great, and, despite the whole ordeal, Mike and I are both just happy that he is healthy.

I would say the worst part about the c-section is that you can't really hold your baby by yourself (because you're so numb) until a couple hours later, and I really felt that it affected our bonding. The good news is that I'm just starting to feel like myself again (but really sore), and the bonding department is going great now!

Wow, that was WAY too much info. Now to the good part, the pics!!


Ems said...

holy crap, he looks like Mike! congratulations again, so glad you are blogging woman.

Angie said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited for you. Reading your experience was almost word for word what happened to me with my first except I gave up at one week overdue instead of two...pitocin for 16 hours and dialated to a 3...epidural because I couldn't do it anymore...heart rate drops...pit on...off...on...off...c-section...can't hold the baby for a few hours because my body feels like jelly...all exactly the same as your experience! Weird. Don't feel devastated about the c-section. You did EVERYTHING you could do. Great job! Hope Sam sleeps through the night at 4 weeks or that Mike can take a night shift here and there. :) Happy healing!

Brittany said...

Congrats! I am sorry that your labor was so long and ended up in a c-section, but it sounds like it all went fine and you and Mike are doing well. He is adorable. Just enjoy every stage he's in!

Lauren said...

Congratulations to you both! And Katy, my hat is off to you for surviving pitocin for so long w/o medication. I was induced with both my kids, and that stuff is EVIL.

So glad you are all doing well now. Sam is one handsome fella!

Troy and Amanda said...

Oh Congrats. I had heard you had him from Sabra Hopkins. Long story. You will have to tell me how you know her. He is so freaking cute. Congrats again. I can't wait to meet him.

Aaron and Lisa said...

He IS absolutely perfect! So precious! We are so happy for you both and glad that mom and baby are healthy. We have checked your blog almost daily since the "natural induction" video to see pictures of the little guy and see if y'all are well. Precious, precious little guy. Doesn't really seem to describe him completely, but closest I can come. Congrats!

Kim said...

CONGRATS!!! He is beautiful! And I'm glad he finally came...

Whitney said...

AWWWWW He is so beautiful! He already has cute hair too--what a lucky boy! You truely are a trooper 2 weeks overdue!! Wow! And you survived the "pit" and a C-section! You definitely deserve a big gold medal! Congrats again!

Heather Ridge said...

I have been wondering since your last post if he finally came out. He is so stinkin' cute. I love the name Samuel too. Katy you look way to good after having a baby. Congrats!

Amanda said...

Yea! Isn't it so great to have him here?! Way better than being pregnant, I thought. Sounds very similar to me except I got to a 10 after 18 hours of labor and his heart rate kept dropping so then the c-section. I hated that I couldn't move without horrible pain for a few days but eventually it went away. He is soooo cute! I love his name too! Hope you are getting a little sleep :) I'm glad you have a blog, it's fun to stay in touch! Love the pictures!

Donna Ferrell said...

Wow, that is quite the ordeal. I am so happy for you that he is here, two weeks late is tough! I love the pics, how nice for him to have his own professional photographer.
-Donna Ferrell (used to be Brown)

Brekke said...

Congratulations! Welcome to parenthood. It's wonderful and full of all kinds of strange fluids that don't belong to you. He is one lucky kid. Katy, you are my hero! I can't believe you did that much without medication. I was a chicken, but had no side effects. I'm glad to hear you are all doing well. Hang on - the breastfeeding gets better.