About Us

My photo
Mike and I have been married for 10 years now, and luckily we still like each other! We've been together for over 15 years and we've spent it traveling, backpacking, climbing, skiing, triathloning, marathoning, sailing, eating, and going on as many adventures as possible. We now have two beautiful boys, Sam & Charlie, and we couldn't be more excited about seeing a whole new world through their eyes in the years to come!

Friday, December 5, 2008

Zion

A couple weeks ago we went on the annual Blommer Family Zion trip, and, as usual, we had a great time! We go every year with Mike's family during the month of November because the family photographers (Eric & Mike) like to capture the fall colors. This year we had a larger group than normal because some special guests joined our trip! We were joined by Mike's grandma's (Judy) brother, Gene, his girlfriend Katrina, and her son Liam.

Here are some pictures Mike took of the trip:



We rented special waterproof pants and boots that allowed us to walk up the Narrows without freezing to death. They worked great, and we all had a blast walking up the Narrows to Orderville Canyon.



Here are Mike and me in the Narrows. Notice that my belly is so big my jacket won't zip anymore! And the giant lump on my tummy is not my belly button! It's the tie to the crazy river walking pants. I got some strange looks from people thinking it was my belly button though.



One of the many beautiful colored walls in the Narrows.



Here's Kathy ready to get back on the trail after lunch.



Amy & Liam doing some river walking stick kung fu!



Nate at lunch looking kind of like a little kid!



Here's Katrina looking happy on her way up the Narrows.



Gene taking a break from his waterproof pants at lunch. Don't worry those are leggings he's wearing underneath!!



Becky at the beginning of the trip smiling because she's not cold yet.



Eric having a good time too.



We saw more of these mountain goats/sheep this year than we've ever seen before.



Sunset just inside the park entrance.



Here's my fearless hiking partner, Grandma Judy, making her way to the last steep climb out of the canyon on the way back from the Subway.



This was one of the amazing waterfalls on the trail leading to the Subway.



Speaking of the Subway, this year we finally made it! We've been wanting to see this for a few years, but the permits are hard to get because they only let 20 people go in each day. This year we were there on a Monday, which is less popular, so we were able to get permits. I debated with myself the day and night before the hike whether or not my 8 month pregnant body could make it 4.5 miles in to see the best part (which is at the very end), and then back again. In the end I decided to give it a try and turn around if I got too tired. Well, thanks to a lot of help from Mike, and a VERY patient group (thanks again guys for putting up with my slow pace) I made it!! It was definitely worth it too! I also have to thank my awesome hiking partner, Grandma Judy, who did a great job on the 9 mile hike too!


There are a few more pictures here: www.blommerphotography.com/Friends/Zion08.html

4 comments:

Susie said...

I am really glad you didn't have the baby in the subway! I totally would have pulled the pregancy card on that trip. good work. Amy is soooo old!!!! and Becky is as beautiful as ever.....Nice Pics!

Whitmer Family said...

Way to Kick some Butt Katy! You are so awesome! I know how it feels to be lugging around what feels to be an extra 300 pounds and for you to do a nine mile hike, not on a nice trail but the Subway no less, you are truly amazing and so is Mike, those pictures are incredible and I guess so am I for making the worlds longest sentence.

Brittany said...

That looks gorgeous. Jamie has been trying to get me to hike it for a couple of years now. I always use my children or being pregnant as an excuse. Maybe I don't have any excuse now! You look great!

Anthony and Kristie said...

Looks like fun. The pictures are amazing. I would like to thank Gene for wearing leggings at first glance I thought the leggings were missing.