About Us

My photo
Mike and I have been married for 10 years now, and luckily we still like each other! We've been together for over 15 years and we've spent it traveling, backpacking, climbing, skiing, triathloning, marathoning, sailing, eating, and going on as many adventures as possible. We now have two beautiful boys, Sam & Charlie, and we couldn't be more excited about seeing a whole new world through their eyes in the years to come!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marathon Training Set Back

As I've been recently reminded (thanks Camille!), I'm long overdue for a marathon training update, and the timing of the reminder couldn't have been more spot on because this weekend was a particularly dramatic training weekend.

I was scheduled to run 16 miles on Saturday, which I was both dreading and looking forward to because I've never run that far at once in my entire life. I started the run feeling okay, but around mile 3 my right foot started to bother me. I kept running because at least two or three parts of my too-large-to-be-running-so-far body hurt off and on throughout my runs. However, this one didn't go away like they usually do. It gradually got worse and worse, until around mile 8 when I had to start walking, which still hurt, so I had to make the big decision to abort my run (never done before, and a bit embarrassing actually). I wasn't sure if I really was injured, or if I was just being a wuss, but I didn't want to push it, so I called Mike and he packed Sam into the car to come pick me up.

Then we packed our stuff, dropped Sam off with the grandparents (first time overnight away from us, and he did great!) and headed off to our anniversary weekend in Park City (go us, 7 years!).

Long story short, we weren't able to ski because my foot got worse, so when we got home yesterday I went to the doctor fearing the worst (stress fracture), but came home with pretty good news. He thinks it's inflammation around a tendon and it can be treated with a week of rest and tons of ibuprofen. 24 hours and 1600mg's later, it's actually feeling much better. The challenge is that I need to work my mileage back up gradually, and with 6 weeks left that will be tough, so this will be a SLOW marathon (lets be honest, it would have been anyway), so I'll have to kiss my 4:30 time goal goodbye, and really just shoot for finishing, which technically was the goal in the first place.

That's the update! Wish me luck.

Oh, also, my crazy husband got into the Wasatch 100, which is a 100 mile run (not a relay)through the mountains from Kaysville to Midway. It's in September, so more to come about that!


Camille B. said...

Thanks for indulging me and getting an update posted, Now I just need a photo of my handsome great nephew.

First, congratulations on seven years of marriage to my nephew. So does this mean the seven year itch is over or just starting!? Keep up the good work, yes I mean work. From the position of an outside observer, not a participant, marriage looks like a whole lot of work to me!

Second, bum about the foot injury but you know my motto, "dead freakin last......." I'm looking forward to cheering you on as you run, walk or crawl the 26.1 miles next month.

Lisa said...

You are both my heroes. :) Good luck on your coming marathon and Mike's 100 mile run! Amazing!

Tay and Jen said...

Good job on the marathon training! And working full-time? Wow. I've started hearing more about the Wasatch 100 = Hardcore. And I can't access facebook but want to attend the 10 YR. reunion. Can you let me know more details???? Thanks. Happy running.

Cheryl and William said...

You are right- your husband is crazy!!! And I'm glad that your foot isn't broken- phew!